January 23, 2006
Seattle's racist, sexist City Council
The Seattle City Council has announced its list of six finalists to fill the Council seat vacated by Jim Compton:
The finalists are: Stella Su-Li Chao; Sally Clark; Ven Knox; Sharon Maeda; Venus Valezquez and Doloros Sibonga. As expected, the finalists are all women, and except for Clark, are racial minorities.
It's reasonable to wonder whether the one white person on the list would have been greenlighted if she were not openly lesbian. I personally don't care one way or another about a public official's ethnicity, gender or private life. But it is disturbing when government officials declare
to use ethnicity and sex as primary screening criteria for hiring a public servant and then follow through. It is more than disturbing, it appears to be against the law
(it's possible there is some sort of exemption for political appointments, but I haven't found it yet). At least one of the unsuccessful non-"woman of color" applicants for the position has indicated plans to take legal action against the City Council for its discriminatory actions. Godspeed.
Posted by Stefan Sharkansky at January 23, 2006
04:17 PM | Email This
1. What did everyone expect? After all, it's Seattle and prone to political correctness. Just another dan in La-La Land!
2. After all it's Seattle. What else would you expect......actual fairness and equality?
3. Why should we judge someone on the quality of their character when we can judge them on the color of their skin?
I certainly hope some these fine potential candidates
were given due consideration. They all appear to me to have some damn fine qualifications.
my brother worked at coors in golden, co. for almost two decades. he was in line for a vice-pres. position in that company ( headed by noted conservative and trust-fund baby, pete coors ). they hired a woman from outside for the position and forced my brother to train her. he was advised not to "make any waves" about it.
this is an example of how conservatives really behave. they are liars.
my brother, of course, quit this nest of hypocritical republican snakes.
6. Come on, Stefan, the whole world knows there is a conspiracy afoot. I am sure if you make enough records requests, read enough RightWingNut rags and talk with your cronies, that you will be able to come up with something. Come on, man, think!
White males are part of the racist misogynist patriarchy and should be removed from all position of power and influence until total equality is reached for all.
Or didn't you get the memo?
Back to diveristy training with you, the Pol Pot academy has class openings.
8. It's interesting that the same people screaming for a woman to replace a woman on the Suprenme Court don't think the same way when a white male resigns. The Seattle elite's hypocrisy light shines ever bright!
9. Clay Shaw--"They hired a woman from outside for the position and forced my brother to train her. he was advised not to "make any waves" about it.
this is an example of how conservatives really behave. they are liars. my brother, of course, quit this nest of hypocritical republican snakes."
Did those nasty Republicans *make*the law that *forced* them to hire a woman? Your generalization seems a bit irrational.
Supposing we switch things around a bit, like so:
"This is an example of how liberals really behave. they are liars. My brother, of course, quit this nest of hypocritical democratic snakes."
I am sure that you can spot the logical fallacy in this statement, and realize how well it applies to your own.
The government entities and certain well known public education systems have been hiring less than qualified people for years in the name of diversity (the head of DSHS is a prime example). Too bad the daily rags make light of this. However, notice this exuse of diversity only applies to those who are of a liberal mindset. Condi Rice gets elevated to Secretary of State and the liberals immediately started hollering that she wasn't qualified, didn't have the right mind set, blah, blah, blah.
Why is when a conservative comes up for consideration the media emphasizes their conservative ideology and values but never mentions by name the liberal values and left wing ideals of the socialist contenders? Barf!!
11. Let 'em have it right between the eyes. Seems racism and sexism are only a problem if committed by someone OTHER than a liberal!
So his~left~foot~in~his~poopy~drawers is trying to do sarcasm now...poopy-pants, it ain't working!
You are every bit the miserable failure at this as you are at leftist propaganda. Frankly, you suck.
You would be immeasurably more comfortable at Horses-Patoot (Where the girls are hairy and everybody knows your name!)
scoot along now!
This case seems extreme even by Seattle standards. While this sort of discrimination (call it what it is) goes on all the time, they usually they keep things a little more low key.
It would be too much to ask that this would result in anger in the ballot box, of course. Probably even too much to ask that the city could actually be sued in court.
But, there is always hope.
"Why is when a conservative comes up for consideration the media emphasizes their conservative ideology and values but never mentions by name the liberal values and left wing ideals of the socialist contenders?"
That's easy: because liberals have no values and no ideas.
"I personally don't care one way or another about a public official's ethnicity, gender or private life."
Compare this sentiment with:
SS may not care PERSONALLY about race, gender, or "private life," but he can never resist the temptation to exploit differences and sow seeds of discord if political advantage might be had.
Funny that Stefan casts the accusation of "demagoguery" so often. Like Jimmy Swaggart or Jim Bakker, one suspects he may o'er familiar with the horn of which he accuses others of blowing.
Huck, I would be willing to serve with them in a number of positions.
It appears that the Seattle City Council fears that PPS* is contagious.
*pale penis syndrome.
Bartelby and Left Foot and others ----
Shouldn't the position go to the most qualified regardless of race, gender or sexual orientation? Why is it that we have to have "diversity"?
Also, isn't the City Council an elected position and if there are more males than females, isn't that what the public wants?
Remember back when we were supposedly living under oppression and racism, but candidates were hired based on their merits?
Sad to see that we have evolved into a less civilized, racist mode where we simply choose people by color, ethnicity and sex.
But, I'm sure that's important for this City Council because in order for them to remain safely in the cocoon of their world view, all communication with reality has to be filtered through the distorted kaleidoscope of color, ethnicity and sex.
19. Sooooooooooooo, which one of these women on the list is the alias for our favorite LEFTIST PINHEADED twit David KLOWNstein???
Don't tell me the Seattle Martian Ruling Elite have rejected KLOWNstein merely because of that "technicality" for failing to follow directions and submit his admittedly weak resume??? Frankly, I think even though KLOWNstein's resume is weak at best, he would have been the best SHE-MAN for the job!
20. I see we will have few extra weeks of winter. Cyniclown has appeared yet again, and is performing in full costume. Calling everyone names and not touching upon the issues. Wait, touching the issues would require thought and he has proven to be, remarkably and consistantly, incapable of thought....typical RIGHTWINGNUT. Well that is not fair, he is a special case.
21. So LeftFart....precisely what earth-shaking issue did you just touch on?
22. Just a note to thank you for proving my point.
YOU ARE BECOMMING GELASTIC IN YOUR BEDLAMITE STATEMENTS. YOUR FALLACIOUS COMPOS-MERTIS ARE TRUELLY PHYLUM.
THE LEFT MUST PLACE DISPORAN, KNOWLEDGE BASE NONPOSSESSORS,INDIVIDUALS WITH TEMPORARY UNMET OBJECTIVES FROM TRADITIONALLY UNDERREPRESENTED COMMUNITIES TO KEEP UP THE ILLUSION AND KEEP THE "PLANTATION" RUNNING SMOTHLY.
IT IS ENOUGH TO MAKE ONE ENTER AVERSION THERAPY OR BECOME TERMINALLY INCONVENIENCED!!!
24. My Left Foot - If you can hold off on the ad hominem attacks briefly, could you please clarify if you are defending actions by the Seattle City Council that appear, on their face, to be both racist and sexist?
25. Neither condone or disagree with the council's actions. I simply thing much ado about nothing is being made here. The appointment is to finish his term, as long as the person is qualified appoint them, and then when the term is up, let the two parties do battle during the campaign and election. For the love of God, it simply is not that serious or complicated. Everyone here at (un)Sound Politics is so wrapped up in the conspiracy line foisted by Stefan.
26. Neither condone or disagree with the council's actions. I simply think much ado about nothing is being made here. The appointment is to finish his term, as long as the person is qualified appoint them, and then when the term is up, let the two parties do battle during the campaign and election. For the love of God, it simply is not that serious or complicated. Everyone here at (un)Sound Politics is so wrapped up in the conspiracy line foisted by Stefan.
27. A conspiracy is something worked out behind closed doors, and there is usually no hard evidence to prove what one is trying to prove. The Council seems to be pretty open about not wanting any white males. If racial/ethnic/gender diversity trumps intellectual/ideological diversity in your world, then yeah, I guess it is much ado about nothing. Telling. Thanks for the insight MLF.
Here in Martin Luther King, Jr. County, it's okay to base judgements on the color of their skin and not the content of their character?
Good, MLF. Outstanding. Did well in history I see.
BTW, I am still actively seeking a lawyer. Now that the council has narrowed the field to 6 women - all minorities (one is lesbian), they are doing my job for me.
29. What the City Council appears to have done is certainly against the spirit of non-discrimination laws, if nothing else.
30. My Left Foot,
I agree with you entirely that much of what Stefan says is over-the-top nonsense.
But on this point he is dead-on correct.
It is outrageous and unwise that the Council is looking at race, ethnicity along with (one hopes) basic competence.
31. This may indeed be a violation of the law that came about from Initiative 200. The problem is, anyone who would take legal action against what is, in point of fact, blatant discrimination, would not endear himself to the voters of Seattle - to understate things. He would, most probably, become the laughing stock of Seattle; which is not to say it wouldn't be the correct thing to do.
Give a look to the Slog at www.thestranger.com to see what is happening to Aaron Shuman at this writing (January 25, around 8:30 p.m.)
I think this might be something John Carlson might want to pursue. Or as another writer here said, just chalk it up to another day in Seattle, a city of left-wing bigots whose lack of either perspective or a sense of humor, makes conversations over five minutes, not worth the time.
It is an intriguing idea (recall effort) but let's be realistic - it would never gain traction in the Peoples Republik of Seattle. The reason: lack of public outrage.
Witness the quality of commentary from your other thread:
"Neither condone or disagree with the council's actions. I simply thing (sic) much ado about nothing is being made here."
I would imagine that to be indicative of the degree of witlessness of your typical Seattlunatic. "I don't care because it hasn't been jammed into my eye socket".
Who cares if a Republican doesn't get a fair shot?
Who cares if a white person doesn't get a fair shot?
Who cares if a male doesn't get a fair shot?
Who cares if the council tramples all over the letter of the law when they were being called to a "higher purpose" (packing the council). While your reportage of the arduous interview and examination hearings was humorous (why do I get the impression that the questions ranged from "What is your favorite color?" to "Do rainy days make you sad?")
Seattle was a nice town (once upon a time)....now it's just an open sewer.